Over the last weekend, I attended a wedding dinner party and one of the conversationa was about a salad spinner. The debate was whether it was a useful tool?! I know most Asians don’t find it useful because they simply don’t eat a lot of fresh salad.
I remembered having a conversation with my uncle when I lived in Cambodia a few years back. I made him a steak dinner with a fresh salad. He wasn’t used to eating uncooked vegetables because of his mental block from the past. He told me that back then it was hard to find safe drinking water, so they had to cook everything before putting it in their mouth including water. In the modern days, in most parts of the world drinking water is so accessible that we sometimes take it for granted. We need to constantly remind ourselves to look around, appreciate and be grateful of all the things we have, especially when we are having a bad day!
This explained why I only remembered having cooked spinach as a child. In this meal, I incorporated both cooked and fresh spinach because spinach has a lot of health benefits as listed below. The fresh spinach was mixed into the arugula and you definitely need to use the salad spinner to spin the spinach after washing it. Otherwise water will cling to the leaves and your dressing will be watery. Spin your salad and you will notice the world of difference!
- Spinach is very rich in Vitamin A, which makes it beneficial for weak eyes. Any kind of strain on the eyes is reduced to a great extent and the eye muscles are made stronger.
- The thickening and hardening of arteries is prevented due to substances like choline and inositol, which are present in significant amounts to make sure the blood arteries remain healthy.
- Diabetics can particularly benefit from spinach since it is known that eating spinach regularly can stabilize blood sugar and prevent it from fluctuating often.
- A particular substance known as flavonoid is present in spinach which is a powerful anti-oxidant and also has anti-cancer agents like carotenoid, preventing the formation of tumors.
- Spinach is known to be an anti-aging vegetable and reverses age related breakdowns, making you look youthful and fresh. It also has a good amount of Vitamin K which helps in the clotting of blood in case of injury.