Huan and Glee love ribs, so I would always try to do at least 1-2 rib recipes per month. After scouting all the food blogs and recipe sites, I find Asian style ribs are more child-friendly. So I started to adapt from different recipes and modify for simplicity and less cooking time.
Chinese cuisines have a wide range in cooking. That’s why you get such a wide range in prices when you order from restaurants. Chinese cooking is generally pretty intensive as there are so many ingredients in each dish. Although I am Chinese, I was pretty intimidated by Chinese cooking. I was always worried about not getting it right. No one would or could tell me what’s the secret to get the flavours into the meat so nicely.
After cooking for awhile and with more and more Asian recipes readily available on the internet, I discovered a few tricks about Chinese cooking.
- Although it might seem like a lot of ingredients, they are always the same such as, green onion, ginger, coriander, garlic, soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. It is usually a combination of a few of the above ingredients for most dishes.
- As a new cook, I usually just poach my vegetables, pre-cook my meats and things in just boiling water. When I do that, all the flavours are left in the pot with the water leaving the meat bland tasting. The trick really is to add whatever the seasoning you are cooking with into the boiling water, so that your meat can soak up all the wonderful flavours. This way not only that your meat is tasty you will end up with a nice broth which you can serve as soup on the side.
- Most of the cooking time is actually in the preparation. Most if not all of the preparation could be done in advance so that it will take no time to cook when it comes to dinner time.
- All the pre-work could be done in advance. You can even pre-cook the ribs and rice the night before and store them in the fridge.
- If you prefer more flavours in your ribs, I recommend adding a pinch of salt while frying them with the ginger and green onion in step 5.